3.25.2005

... and all that.

" ... good luck and all that jazz."
" ... Happy New Year and all that."

This bugs me. Is it some sort of weird bug that's flying around the metros in India (esp Bangalore!). What is that? An expression of aloofness? A new kind of cool? I think not.

Nobody wants an insincere wish/greeting. If you really mean it - say it. "Good luck. I hope you do well in your exams" or "Happy New Year. I hope you have a great year" or "Get Well Soon" or "I miss you". If you don't... then shut up!

7 Comments:

Blogger Vaishnavi Tekumalla said...

Applause!
This SO annoys me too! You know what else annoys me?
You're really feeling bad and you sincerely say "I'm sorry" and in reply you get to hear "You better be!". Sheesh!

11:04 PM  
Blogger the k factor said...

Woah...!! Vesuvius erupts..!!

Well, no one has wished me like that till now; but if someone does, I'll make sure I'll kick their ass...

12:11 AM  
Blogger Gowri said...

Yeah, I agree with you. Even though I haven't heard anyone say it, it does sound very irritating.

Vaishnavi: Apology brings a famous quotation by P.G. Wodehouse to mind -
"It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them."

1:34 AM  
Blogger Vaishnavi Tekumalla said...

gowri, nice one! :0)

and suppu thatha, what a lovely patience, i say! :0)

12:50 AM  
Blogger nitboss said...

super, I agree.

You are a cool blogger or watever!! ;)
Dude, gotto catch up with our pjs

10:07 PM  
Blogger Usha said...

That is really bad.It seems like most of these are done as a routine and a ritual than from the heart.
I remember P.G. Wodehouse characters using " good luck and all that rot" - PGW was making fun of the attitude at those times.
How easily we lose the good aspects and pick up the rotten ones!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Usha said...

after reading your post on ignorance and apathy:
this type of wish is a classic example of both rolled in one!

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home