3.25.2005

Statistics and Damned Useless Information

Some of the "key" statistics that I noticed in some very reputed cricket coverage (even Sportstar is guilty of this. And to think I would wait for these tidbits with bated breath when I was much younger... What was I thinking?!!):

On Inzamam reaching his 21st Test century.
" The 35-year-old became only the fifth player in history to score a century in his 100th Test. He joined an elite club comprising England's Colin Cowdrey, Gordon Greenidge of West Indies, Pakistan's Javed Miandad and England's Alec Stewart."

"...was the highest score by a batsman in his centennial Test, surpassing Greenidge's 149."

"... the highest Test score ever in Bangalore, ahead of Tendulkar's 177 against Australia in 1998."

There are some sporting statistics that are useful metrics of judging performance. And some very unique ones that are not so useful but are amusing. But give me a break... how is a century *on* the 100th test of any distinction? Or scoring the highest in a centennial test?!!

Overdosing on statistics is just pathetic, IMHO.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vijay Krishna L said...

Point taken! I liked this other stat on cricinfo a week or so back - you know who is the luckiest batsman since 2001 ("lucky" is measured by how many of your not-in-control balls end up in dismissals) - came as a surprise to me - Rahul Dravid! Maybe thats what they call a "purple patch"..

12:45 PM  
Blogger Usha said...

I was saying the same thing day before when I read some stats in the Hindu. One of them was:
"Sehwag highest score in a losing match!" and something about Gavaskar holding his fame as highest run taker in India for so many years, months and hours!!!

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home