2.13.2005

the point

What you read below is adapted directly froma conversation i was having on messenger with a friend...

You know what I think? things like sports blogs have a really small and niche reader base as opposed to more personal "reflection" or "things from my life" type blogs. when i write abt sports, only a select few of my sports crazy friends read it or comment on it, but blogs where i write abt random stuff... or reflective things... people respond. and also.. blogs like [a friend's]... which are more general - and "my life" based.... gets much more interest. so there are more ppl who want to find out personal things abt others than those who want to read your opinion on somthing? hmm...

So in a way.. i think the "self-supporting" blog community... will, like the old "chat" community, seperate into personal based blogs and professional, topical or 'article' type blogs. Personally, to write though... it's infinitely more challenging to try to write a topical blog coz u have to write a coherent opinion abt something specific regularly. Not only that... it has to be 'article' like too....

Actually just this monolog of mine can be a blog entry in itself :-)

So how much are my blogs really woth? Is it worth writing every single thing i feel down.... into a blog? It will certainly have a wider reader base. Then again...

5 Comments:

Blogger Usha said...

ya true.
As for your question how much is the blog worth - check out this crazy stuff:
http://www.blogshares.com/blogs.php?blog=http://justanotherthought.blogspot.com%2F

12:41 AM  
Blogger Gowri said...

Hey Harish, have been reading your blog regulary, its really good.
Some things to say about the post...
I don't really agree that people are more interested in reading about other people's lives and hence such blogs get a better response.
If you are going by the sheer number of comments a post gets, then the reason why a personal or a reflective post gets a better response is because more people can identify with it. They have probably been in a similar situation and have had similar thoughts at some point and they can confidently commment on it.
How would someone, (for example, myself) comment on a movie I've never seen or a game I barely understand? And there are many people like me. :-) Though we really appreciate what you write, we cannot comment without the fear of sounding stupid or ill-informed.
About life and general opinions, such as this post, anyone can comment. So here you are !

As far as readership is concerned; much as it is a public site, to me, it is someplace I can put my thoughts down, where, poeple who know me can access it; as it would be too cumbersome for me to mail all my friends each time.
I do not think one should write to cater to the masses. You should write what you like writing and not bother about readership. Changing the subject of your post to attract a larger readership, would defeat the whole purpose of having a blog, which I think is to write what one feels like writing; irrespective of who reads it or whether anyone reads it at all.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Harish said...

Usha: I checked out the blogshares link you sent me... fascinating, really!

Gowri: I know what you mean about not associating with the blog posts. I didn't mean to imply I should or would vhange anything... it was more of a reflection on things. I checked out your blog recently - quite good. I'd love to read more.

7:43 AM  
Blogger the k factor said...

And why not...!!
Sport is a part of life...not the other way round.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Gowri said...

Hey, by "you..." I didn't really mean YOU. :-) It was more of a "One shud not....." sort of thing. :-))

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home