1.23.2005

I love the snow!

It snowed all of the last 24 hours or so... a blizzard. A snowstorm. There's over a foot of snow outside. Streets are deserted... and I love it. I got to snowskate, play in the snow and generally have a ball goofing around!! I have fallen in love with fresh snow (not the muck left afterwards)over the last few months in NY after the infrequent exposure I had to it earlier. I've loved skiing. And now I'm learning to snowskate and it's incredibly great fun!

A snowskate is a skateboard top attached to a small snowboard below it (a gap of about two inches between the two) to allow for elevation enough to powder out fresh banks of snow. I went snowskating to neighborhood haunts with a friend who's been snowboarding since he was ten.. a crazed fan ogf skateboarding, surfing and snowboarding! Apparently snowskating is still an underground phenomenon - exclusive to snowboarders who are (unfortunately for them) confined to urban areas. In the absence of slopes, they took to this adaptation. It's great fun!

Last night (at 11pm) we went out to long, steep driveways and hilly streets and steep frontyards...and generally had a ball snowskating. I fell a few hundred times trying to learn to do it, but I was told even skateboarders and snowboarders take a few tries getting the hang of it. That made me feel much better. So much more because I managed to learn the elements of balance and poise on it... without prior experience with either of the parent sports!! (Majorly kicked!) Loved it so much that we went out this afternoon as well - to a park a mile away from home... with steep grass and concrete banks - that are perfect for fast snowskating when covered in a foot of snow! Wicked!

I can't wait for another blizzard to drive everyone indoors and give me a chance to party in the snow! Something I've wanted to do on my last ski trip as well... but for which I have an increased resolve now - is snowboarding! I HAVE to do it asap. What a rush!

1 Comments:

Blogger Vaishnavi Tekumalla said...

Gosh, Har! Snowskating sounds like SO much fun!!! :)

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home