8.24.2005

God Pardons Robberies - The Hand of God

After nearly two decades, Diego Maradona admitted that he scored the winning goal against England in the Quarter Final of the 1986 World Cup with his hand. On his talk-show, The Night of the Ten, the former striker admitted that he had planned the goal with the knowledge that with his height, he would never get past [English keeper Peter Shilton] with a header.

"When I saw the linesman was halfway down the pitch, I called on my team-mates to embrace me and make a big show of acclaiming the goal, to make sure it was confirmed. They were hanging back a bit timidly. They embraced me, but as if to say, 'we're robbing them'. But I told them, 'who robs a robber (referring to the Falklands war), is pardoned for a hundred years. I never regretted scoring that goal with my hand and what's more, I scored another one like it playing for Napoli against Udinese."

Oh well...it still was the 'hand of god'.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sinfully Pinstripe said...

Who the %&$#@ cares? He is still GOD.

And nice to see a much slimmer GOD after a long time.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Kirthi said...

Just goes to show the deterioration of sports. The rot began pretty much then. Well if it is merely entertainment value I might as well watch sham blows in WWF.

2:26 PM  
Blogger silverine said...

I feel bad for England. It was definitely not a fair win.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home