10.17.2004

Huckabees

I "Heart" Huckabees

Starring Dustin Hoffman , Isabelle Huppert, Jude Law, Mark Wahlberg, Jason Schwartzman (of Rushmore fame) , Lily Tomlin (the AUstin Powers movies - she headed the 'militant' wing of the salvation army), and Naomi Watts.

If I was restricted to three words for this movie, they would be weird, very funny. Disclaimer: It will baffle more people than it will entertain... it did me as well. But in some senses, the more you enjoy quirky and the more open you are to being baffled (and finding rambling in the midst of seemingly disconnected frames funny), the more you will enjoy this movie. I, for one, thoroughly did. By no stretch was it 'an outstanding' movie, but in its own quaint way, it was funny and amusing.

The good thing as with lots of comedies I like - is that they didn't preach and they didn't try to come up with the "answer". It satirized the existential suffering of the left-liberals, and while it poked fun at the 'east village' inhabitants, it would most certainly find its most enthusiastic supporters right there.

If you don't mind strange, quirky movies, it's incredibly funny. If you're likely to think of it as artsy self-indulgence based on the fact that the title is supposed to be I "heart" huckabees (where there is a heart in the title, and you do not call it I 'love' huckabees), then this movie is probably not for you. I liked it.

Rating: 4/5

1 Comments:

Blogger Vaishnavi Tekumalla said...

Sounds interesting!

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home