9.27.2004

The 30s

It seemed like Saturday was a 30's themed day for me. First I needed to go to some obscure corner of the Upper East side to get some soccer equipment. In the process, as most weekend travel is from Queens these days, I had to go through the circuit - go north before going south and so on... This one time however, I was glad to do it. I got to Continental Avenue station and was waiting for the change to the express F line... and I noticed this really old train chugging into the subway station... and a lot of flashbulbs going off...
Apparently, just for that one day, they were running (brought out of retirement) a vintage train - first used in the 1930s !!! It was marvellous. I loved the experience. It had ceiling fans (those old black ones), it was noisy, it had flickering light bulbs, cushioned seats and black hand painted boards indicating where it was going. Old hand painted signs warning passengers against theft and larceny. And what's more, the different compartments were from different decades - 30s through the 70s - representative of the decades that this train was in service (till it was decomissioned in 1974). And each car was upholstered and decorated exactly like it was in the respective decades... and even had advertisements on the walls represenative of the era.
It was fantastic.

Then I went and watched '42nd Street' the musical on Broadway... and it's a revival of the original script straight from 1933. Gaudy? Yes. But great fun. Been to 3 broadway musicals and loved 'em all so far.

2 Comments:

Blogger NicoleFieldsPhotography said...

You make me want to get out and see more movies!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Harish said...

Good. Go out. Watch more movies.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home